Particulars of organization functions duties
MINISTRY OF HOUSING AND URBAN AFFAIRS
NIRMAN BHAWAN, MAULANA AZAD ROAD, NEW DELHI-110011.
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is the apex authority of Government of India at the national level to formulate policies, sponsor and support programme, coordinate the activities of various Central Ministries, State Governments and other nodal authorities and monitor the programmes concerning all the issues of urban development in the country.
The Ministry was constituted on 13th May, 1952 when it was known as the Ministry of Works, Housing & Supply. Further vide Cabinet Secretariat’s Notification dated 06.07.2017 in The Gazette of India the Ministry of Urban Development and Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation have been merged into a single Ministry which has been named as Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is headed by Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Hon’ble Minister of State (IC) for Housing and Urban Affairs. At the bureaucratic level, the Ministry is headed by Secretary (HUA), Shri Durga Shanker Mishra, IAS .
As per Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules 1961, the following business has been allocated to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs :
1. Properties of the Union, whether lands or buildings, with the following exceptions, namely:-
(a) those belonging to the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Railways and the Department of Atomic Energy and the Department of Space;
(b) buildings or lands, the construction or acquisition of which has been financed otherwise than from the Civil Works Budget;
(c) buildings or lands, the control of which has at the time of construction or acquisition or subsequently been permanently made over to other Ministries and Departments.
2. All Government civil works and buildings including those of Union territories excluding roads and excluding works executed by or buildings belonging to the Ministry of Railways, Department of Posts, Department of Telecommunications, Department of Atomic Energy and the Department of Space.
3. Horticulture operations.
4. Central Public Works Organisation.
5. Administration of Government estates including Government hostels under the control of the Ministry. Location or dispersal of offices in or from the metropolitan cities.
6. Allotment of accommodation in Vigyan Bhawan.
7. Administration of four Rehabilitation Markets viz. Sarojini Nagar Market, Shankar Market, Pleasure Garden Market and Kamla Market.
8. Issue of lease or conveyance deeds in respect of Government built properties in Delhi and New Delhi under the Displaced Persons (Compensation and Rehabilitation) Act, I 954 (44 of I 954) and conversion of lease deeds, allotment of additional strips of land and correctional areas adjoining such properties.
9. Stationery and Printing for the Government of lndia including official publications.
10. Planning and coordination of urban transport systems with technical planning of rail based systems being subject to the items of work allocated to the Ministry of Railways, Railway Board.
11. Fixing of maximum and minimum rates and fares for rail-based urban transport systems other than those funded by the Indian Railways.
12. Tramways including elevated high speed trams within municipal limits or any other contiguous zone.
13. Town and Country Planning; matters relating to the Planning and Development of Metropolitan Areas, International Cooperation and Technical Assistance in this field.
14. Schemes of large scale acquisition, development and disposal of land in Delhi.
15. Delhi Development Authority.
16. Master Plan of Delhi, coordination of work in respect of the Master Plan and Slum Clearance in the National Capital Territory of Delhi.
17. Erection of memorials in honour of freedom fighters.
18. Development of Government colonies.
19. Local Government, that is to say, the constitution and powers of the Municipal Corporations (excluding the Municipal Corporation of Delhi), Municipalities (excluding the New Delhi Municipal Committee), other Local Self-Government Administrations excluding Panchayati Raj Institutions.
20. The Delhi Water Supply and Sewage Disposal Undertaking of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
21. Water supply (subject to overall national perspective of water planning and coordination assigned to the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation), sewage, drainage and sanitation relating to urban areas and linkages from allocated water resources. International Cooperation and Technical Assistance in this field.
22. The Central Council of Local Self-Government.
23. Allotment of Government land in Delhi.
24. Administration of Rajghat Samadhi Committee.
25. All matters relating to Planning and Development of the National Capital Region and administration of the National Capital Region Planning Board Act, 1985 (2 of 1985).
26. Matters relating to the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH).
27. All matters relating to the Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO).
27A.Matters relating to NBCC(India)Limited and its subsidiaries.
27B.Matters relating to Hindustan Prefab Limited.
28. Formulation of housing policy and programme (except rural housing which is assigned to the Department of Rural Development), review of the implementation of the Plan Schemes, collection and dissemination of data on housing, building materials and techniques, general measures for reduction of building costs and nodal responsibility for National Housing Policy.
29. Human Settlements including the United Nations Commission for Human Settlements and International Cooperation and Technical Assistance in the field of Housing and Human Settlements.
30. Urban Development including Slum Clearance Schemes and the Jhuggi and Jhonpri Removal Schemes. International Cooperation and Technical Assistance in this field.
31. National Cooperative Housing Federation.
32. Implementation of the specific programmes of Urban Employment and Urban Poverty Alleviation including other programmes evolved from time to time.
33. Administration of the Requisitioning and Acquisition of lmmovable Property Act, 1952 (30 of 1952).
34. Administration of Delhi Hotels (Control of Accommodation) Act, 1949 (24 of 1949).
35. The Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act, 1971 (40 of 1971).
36. Administration of the Delhi Development Act, 1957 (61 of 1957).
37. The Delhi Rent Control Act, 1958 (59 of 1958).
38. The Urban Land (Ceiling and Regulation) Act, 1976 (33 of 1976).
39. Delhi Urban Art Commission, the Delhi Urban Art Commission Act, 1973 (1 of 1974).
40.Administration of the Street Vendors (protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending)Act,2014.(7 of 2014).
41.Administration of the Real Estate(Regulation and Development)Act,2016.(16 of 2016)